As I sit here and write this article, I am traveling across the sky on a Delta plane using Gogo Wireless WiFi. As I am I heading to Austin, Texas today, I thought it was only proper to ask the Twittersphere for some dinner and sightseeing recommendations from local Austin, Texans.
Once of my go-to sources for asking questions is obviously Twitter and if you are looking for great local suggestions, I’d highly recommend that you start with the local tourism board or chamber of commerce. Most larger metropolitan cities, such as Austin, Texas, may even have their own Twitter handle for their visitor’s bureau. After all, it clearly is one of their mandates to promote their city, so I love it when I get real suggestions from the official Twitter handle for the visitor’s bureau.
For me, I will be staying in downtown, so thankfully Visit Austin, Texas was able to offer some hyper-local suggestions that are right near my hotel, the JW Marriott. I received many suggestions from my Twitter followers as well as the Periscope live-stream I completed this morning during my “Walk And Talk” with my puppy, Charlie. Well, he’s actually eight and not a puppy, but he’ll always be a puppy in my eyes.
Overwhelmingly the majority of suggestions were for tacos. I love fish tacos and breakfast tacos, so I have two new places that I need to try in Torchy’s and the Taco Deli; however, I really wanted to understand how “Austinites” rank their local venues and restaurants, so for this task, I fired up my Foursquare app and searched for the “Top Picks” in Austin, Texas. Not surprisingly, Torchy’s was listed as one of the “Top Picks” in Austin for great eats, but I found 10 places you shouldn’t miss in Austin, Texas
While this will be my first trip to Austin, Texas, it is great to know that there is a diverse, eating community full of foodies, as well as a great city for cultural explorers, just like myself. Besides tacos and barbecue, there is plenty to eat for me and you as well as plenty of places for me to write poetry. So without further ado, here are the “Top Picks” of places to go and places to eat in Austin, Texas, as measured by Foursquare users.
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema – Ritz: Voted as the #1 place for pancakes in Austin.
- ACL Live (or Austin City Limits): Voted as one of the top 5 places for music in Austin.
- Zilker Park: A great place to spend a day, any day of the week.
- Auditorium Shores at Lady Bird Park: Voted as one of the top 10 places for music in Austin. Free symphonies on Sunday per one Foursquare user.
- Waterloo Records: “Widely considered one of the finest indie record stores in the world” ~ per a Foursquare user.
- Lady Bird Lake Trail: Need a walk, run or bike? This trail you will like. Voted #1 trail in Austin.
- Whole Foods Market: Interesting. Voted as one of the top 10 places for a smoothie in Austin.
- Torchy’s Tacos: This is the place to go for tacos. Voted #1 for tacos in Austin.
- Home Slice Pizza: Who doesn’t love pizza? Voted the #1 for pizza in Austin.
- BookPeople: Now this is my kind of place. Voted the #1 bookstore in Austin.
Well I don’t know about you, but it sounds like I may have a busy next three days of eating, tweeting and people meeting in Austin, Texas. Yet, I can’t wait to cross of Austin on my Texas travel bucket list and hopefully after I leave, Austin is will so miss.